Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Stagnation Sensation Sweeping the Nation

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life..." - From Walden by Henry David Thoreau

In Waking Life the idea of free will is repeatedly emphasized. The film presents the idea that individual expression and motivation are essential to fulfilling our potential as human beings. "If we don't exercise free will to evolve, we end up as passive observers," (Carlo Cavagna, packet on Waking Life) in our own lives. The film suggests that by breaking from the confines of society (an action also advocated by Nietzsche) we can accomplish our goals. In this day and age, I see technology as a restrictive force, creating in us a disconnect from the real world. It puts us in a sort of heedless stupor that prevents us from doing that which we would otherwise be inclined to do. In The Epic of Gigamesh, the protagonist faces a similar problem of losing himself to civilization. While Gilgamesh does not have the blight of technology, he still does not want to become one of the masses, anonymous and conforming until his inevitable death. In order to make something of himself, he resolves to strike out into the wilderness.

But I believe that outside forces are not the only things preventing us from exercising free will and fully living. That would be, in terms of psychology, perceiving everything as beyond our control (or in technical jargon, having an external locus of control). This is both unrealistic and supremely limiting. We have the ability - and the implied responsibility - to choose our actions. But the fear, laziness, or passivity that so many of us seem to possess prevents us from making important decisions. We seem to feel as though inaction is easier and less dangerous than taking risks. What we fail to realize is that if we don't do things out of laziness, or out of fear of the pain they will cause us, we end up with more work or in more pain than if we did the thing. I don't want to reach old age and realize I have done nothing. Yet I find myself lazing around, or worrying and procrastinating needlessly, wasting hours that could be spent doing worthwhile things. As Buddhism teaches, I (and many others) need to learn to live mindfully, focusing on the present and actively engaging in life. For why should we stagnate? We have the potential to do whatever we want to do (as I believe Melanie mentioned in class and the film emphasized). What sets us apart as human beings is our creativity and our ability to consciously choose our actions. If we fail to use these abilities, we are not fulfilling our potential and might as well not be human.

No comments:

Post a Comment