Gabe believes in the simple things along with the larger things. Sometimes the small, simple things can make all the differnce in the world and influence th bigger things, or the things that are more important.
Why dont we start with the smaller things. I think that common courtesies can fall under the lable of ethics. I think it is the small things like saying please and thank you, or holding the door for someone that can make a big difference. Sometimes that smile you shared with the person walking down the road may have given them just enough hope to keep on living. Just enough hope too keep them from commiting suicide. Also, it is just the right thing to do. Someone is coming in the door behind you, hold the door for them. Someone older is walking up to a door you are going to use too, open it and let them in. Please and thank you can take someone far, and that extra smile you share can mean the world to someone.
Moving on to a little bigger things. I believe that certain action are viewed in different ways. Some actions it really only matters about the ending effect where as others need a back story. If you are telling a joke and it wasnt ment to be hurtful to someone, but it ended up being that way, all that really matters to the person you hurt is that you hurt them. But if someone steals something small like an apple or something like that, a back story can shed some light on the situation and whether they REALLY needed it. Sure, it is still wrong to steal, but the back story can shed light on the situation and give sympathy to the robber. But if this robber was, say, stealing a tv from a house, they really dont need to do that, but they might need the money for a family. Yes, it is STILL wrong, but hearing the story helps one sympathize with the robber. My father says "If they stole it, they probably needed it more than we did." I like that philosophy.
Now something like murder, the big no no. I think that in most cases murder isn't the answer. But I do believe that sometimes it is what is needed. If someone wants revenge, they are mad, it isnt ok. Bad Boy! Or if someone needs to, say, get rid of a witness at a robbery so they kill someone, still a bad thing. But if you are a soldier in the army, that is what you are there to do. I couldnt do it, I don't think I could live with myself if I ever killed someone. But that is why those people are there. There is the question of capital punishment. And I think that if someone killed someone else on purpose, like a serial killer or a strait up murder, that it is wrong for them. Let them rot in jail, let them suffer. But someone like Osama Binladen (I think I spelt that wrong), I that he deserved to die. But not just die, suffer, suffer a painful, drawnout death for the people he killed. I think he should suffer so he can feel the thousands of peoples pains. He didn't deserve what happened to him. He deserved worse.
Gabe, what really struck me about your post are the last few lines about Osama Bin Laden were pretty heated. I understand where you are coming from with the thought of making him suffer all of the pain he has caused. I believe he deserved to die, but possibly not in such a violent manner. I am not sympathizing with Osama here, but is he not a person? Is he not a human with his own morals passed through generations and some he crafted on his own? One's morals simply do not give that person dominion over the lives and morals of others, for nobody holds the "correct" set of morals to themselves.
ReplyDelete