Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Sound of Silence

In class we are spending time researching our sacred spaces of different cultures. One of the questions on our directions sheet asks about the smells and sounds of the space. It seems like an unimportant question compared to describing the architecture or the rituals performed there. And yet, it may be just as vital. All of our senses as humans are necessary to create a complete experience. What takes you back to a fond memory: the smell of homemade chocolate chip cookies wafting about a house or similar architecture? (Well, perhaps both, but smells are often more powerful.)
This also got me thinking about silence. I'm researching the Chartres Cathedral with Laura, and most Christian churches are silent places, with few people talking, though maybe a solemn hymn here and there. I can't speak to the other sacred spaces, but silence is almost always considered holy. Of course, it shows respect to refrain from chatting with those around you, but why is it many modern religions prefer solemnity and quiet to loudly rejoicing?
Although it differs from place to place, my synagogue has been a place where children can whisper to their parents and the relationships between the members are one of the main reasons to go to temple. Indigenous and native cultures often incorporate singing and chanting and rejoicing into their rituals, whereas the modern dominant religion, Christianity (and many others) seem to prefer silence and obedience.
I think this seems to reflect greater truths about the religion at hand. Some religions are in essence about celebrating and wonderment of life, while others believe life is just a gateway to something greater, so we must show our devoted nature while we can.
So simply the sounds of a place can be an insight into the deeper beliefs of a religion. Maybe that question is most important after all.

5 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how the Christian religion has changed over the ages. In the Middle Ages, when the Chartres Cathedral was built, going to church was a very solemn thing, taking up nearly all of one’s Sunday, and the average person would go to church every day. This is reflective of the lifestyle of the day, in which daily life existence was dedicated to reaching heaven after death. Today, the average Christian goes to church when is convenient for them, whether it be diligently every Sunday or not. The self-centered modern western society of individuality is the reason for this. As the times have changed, religion has changed. A Catholic today is very much different in their practices than a Catholic of the Middle Ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that, "religions are in essence about celebrating and wonderment of life." Religion and sacred spaces are about inspiration and passion for belief in a certain culture. All cultures grow up differently and I believe we have similar opinions in the fact that all religions and sacred places are entirely unique based on personal and religious experiences in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In stating that "[a]ll of our senses as humans are necessary to create a complete experience" you have touched upon a very important aspect of sacred spaces. They (the spaces) would not give humans the same experience without the sights, sounds, and smells that are often present. And it is true that different people and different religions have their own ideas of which types of stimulation (or lack of) are pleasing or acceptable. I propose that each different experience has its own place, which cannot be judged in comparison to other spaces. How can anyone rank, for example, the significance of a solemn church service to a churchgoer versus the significance of a lively contra dance to a young girl? It is impossible to compare, or know what the participants in each scenario are feeling. While "the sounds of a place can be an insight into the deeper beliefs of a religion" or an experience in general, I think we never truly understand that which we ourselves do not value or participate in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that you are right. Smells are ofter very strong and so are thing that are heard. I feel like greater reactions come from sounds and smells too. If something horrible is heard or smelt, it will be differnt if someone sees an ungly building. I personally like to express my religiousness through music. I dont enjoy church and that stuff. I enjoy the worship, witht he music and the singing. But i hate hymes and i dont like the word worship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I go to synagogue I hear children laughing and running around, adults chatting and singing, clapping or stomping, and the occasional dancer who decides movement is the only true way to get the prayer out. The smell of sulfur and wine fill the air. The feeling is lively, warm, and welcoming. Solemn is never a word I would use to describe my religious experience. I love how you said, "Some religions are in essence about celebrating and wonderment of life, while others believe life is just a gateway to something greater, so we must show our devoted nature while we can." This is so true. And I personally feel that my sacred space is a place to celebrate life and its wonderments.

    ReplyDelete