The ideas on love and beauty in class were very similar in many ways. Most people see it as a transcendent experience, and many mentioned the idea of inner and outer beauty. We also discussed the fact that things that are aesthetically pleasing and things that are beautiful are discrete. I think that is a very important distinction. Too often beauty is used to describe people who have aesthetically pleasing features, and yet the same word is used to describe a work of art that profoundly affects someone. These are very separate effects.
Real beauty is felt emotionally. It is awe at a landscape, or a work of art, or, yes, even a person. Yet a culture's concept of beauty is different from another. It all has to do with what the culture values and the more-than-human desires. That is the human beauty, the necessity to make oneself aesthetically pleasing to find a mate.
So maybe love is beauty. Love is beautiful, or caused because one can see the beauty in another. The two concepts were discussed together in class because they are very alike in many ways. To quote Jesse McCartney's "Beautiful Soul": "I don't want another pretty face / I don't want just anyone to hold / I don't want my love to go to waste / I want you and your beautiful soul".
No comments:
Post a Comment