Thursday, March 17, 2011

Give me 10 cc of love, and make it snappy!

I originally meant to do the prompt that Ms Levin gave me, but I have had a few interesting ideas since class (Sorry!)

Some say that love is a drug, but that is not entirely true. Love is a whole mess of chemicals just waiting to make your palms flood with sweat and to make your breath run away in terror. Phenylethylamine, or PEA, is just one of those drugs that makes your stomach flip over and over. PEA is an amphetamine, like methamphetamine, both of which will keep you awake, jittery, and vibrating faster than an atom. Combined with dopamine, that feel-good neurotransmitter, you have yourself enough drugs to keep you head in the clouds for a good long while. Also, did you know that similar levels of PEA are released in the brain during the consumption of chocolate and during orgasm? Wow! Hot stuff, huh? I'll give you a moment to cool yourselves down.












That was a quick cold shower! Here is some material to get you further out of that mood:

The smell of Crayola crayons is so familiar that it is one of the the top 20 most recognized scents to American adults. Comparable to coffee and peanut butter...and so soothing that sniffing crayons has been proven lower blood pressure.

Sexual fire quenched. Let's move on.

Inevitably, around 18 months to four years, those happy couples become less manically driven for primal lust, but instead, their dopamine begins to create oxytocin. Oxytocin brings a feeling of deep connection to the significant other, and allows women to bond with their babies. No longer does adrenaline and PEA make someone a quivering blob of infatuation, but in their place, pain-killing endorphins and oxytocin arrive on the scene. Some people throw around the term "separation anxiety", but this anxiety may just be a love addict in withdrawal. Some people believe that love is a deep emotional connection to another person. I understand what they are saying, but I respectfully decline that mode of thought. I see love as merely a combination of chemicals used to ensure reproduction and the continuation of our race. It has great stress-relieving properties, and with the shot of adrenaline that accompanies it, the immune system may also benefit. Alas, despite the fairly specific combination of chemicals that create love, it may never be synthesized. Infatuation may be induced, but enduring love is specific to each person.

4 comments:

  1. Though this post is undeniably witty, I have a sizable problem with it: this just seems to be what we spoke about in class today verbatim. We mention the period of time where love holds strong until it essentially crumbles into the platonic influence of oxytocin. Though I thank you for quenching my sexual fire (which I was unaware I had), I do not believe love is a cocktail of chemicals pumped into your brain, which ultimately lead to a deeper, yet less passionate connection to one's partner. I believe love is a strong connection from the start, and that love is indeed individual to each person. Rather than explaining how people endure love, I feel you surrounded your original thoughts with too much extraneous information about PEA and the wonderful smell of crayons.
    You mention that you "respectfully decline that mode of thought" where people believe love is a strong connection, but is it really a mode of thought? Love, if anything, initially seems devoid of thought. Those who believe love is a strong connection would most likely not analyze love in such a logical and seemingly cold way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, this post was very fun to read-"undeniably witty", as your brother said.
    If love is indeed just a cocktail of chemicals, those chemicals create the deep emotional connection, don't they? I think one can acknowledge the scientific point of view, and still believe in the "magical power of love".
    We know the science behind hurricanes or the aurora borealis, but does that make them any less awe-inspiring? Those chemicals do make one fall in love, but sometimes people fall in love with others who don't make good mates or help raise the children. Some people never find love. Does the fact that it is created by chemicals cheapen the wonder it instills in those enamored by it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a high schooler, it is somewhat hard to take a stance on love, I believe. Maybe we have to experience this "crazy little thing called love" before we can judge it, but at the same time it is debatable that we can be speaking of the love for our parents. I just confused myself though. Is there a difference between romantic love and love for our parents? How does the chemicals that you have mentioned know when to come into play? I think the human brain is a remarkable creation, so love can be different depending on the situation. Some of us are more inclined to be philosophical and believe in more than just chemicals, but for now, it is a solid and reliable explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not agree with how you say love is "a combination of chemicals used to ensure reproduction and the continuation of our race". The continuation of our race does not rely on love whatsoever. The majority of other species on our planet reproduce just fine without love. Sex is what is needed to continue our race. Love and sex are not one in the same. Yes, it is true that all of those chemicals are released while in love. However, I agree with Ally that those chemicals help create that deep emotional connection.

    ReplyDelete